Saturday, May 14, 2011

Memories...

Hey homies,
I was just considering some of my oh-so-precious memories from when I first moved into my hood.
Now a bit of background: my 40 yr old Filipino roommate, who prior to my moving in was THE whitest person on the block, has a dog. A very charming pittbull  who just happens to be white.


One day, when I was still new to the block, I was out taking the dog for a walk. Naturally,
me+the dog=Whitest thing to walk down the street in who knows how long... Well up ahead there was a small terrier mix..loose! I wasn't sure how my roommate's dog would react, let along the one on the street, so I pulled her back, as the seemingly well-mannered terrier came to sniff my roommate's dog. Next thing I know, a short, stocky Hispanic woman walks out calling GRINGO! Gringo! COME HERE!


Now I knew what Gringo meant, so naturally I burst out in giggles, but for those of you who do not, Gringo is Spanish slang for a white person. Usually a stupid and/or useless white person who can't speak a word of Spanish. Yes, it can also be used in a non-derogatory way to describe anyone born in the United States, or as a replacement for the term "American", but as I have experienced it, calling "Gringo!" is just about the same as calling "Hey, Whitey!"


Tell me how the dog was BROWN.

No comments:

Post a Comment